The Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) delivered a judgment on 6 September 2019 that handed SARS one of their most influential wins in recent times. The SARS Commissioner did not pull any punches and took BMW South Africa to task on tax services performed for their expatriates by their top tier advisors KPMG and PWC. […]
For some time now, there has been murmurs of a tax revolt amongst South African taxpayers. For too many reasons to mention, South African taxpayers, sometimes publicly, contemplate the notion of disregarding their tax obligations. The SARS Commissioner has taken note of the pervasive disillusionment amongst taxpayers and noted his concern at this year’s Tax […]
During tax season, citizens will flock to the South African Revenue Service’s (SARS) branches to submit their annual tax returns. However, when doing so, some people always focus on remuneration tax and forget about other deductions.
SARS Commissioner, Edward Kieswetter, has used the South African Institute of Tax Professionals’ Tax Indaba as a platform to fire a shot across the bow, letting taxpayers know that non-compliance will be met with the full force of the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA). The Commissioner has allied himself with the NPA and concluded a new […]
The International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants is looking into whether aggressive tax planning is ethical, even if it is legal, according to Saadiya Adam, a technical advisor for the IESBA.
The amendment to section 10(1)(o)(ii) of the Income Tax Act (“foreign employment exemption”) takes effect from 1 March 2020. Presumably, employees that would be affected thereby have done the necessary planning to sidestep any potential additional tax that may follow the amendment; or at least did their homework to attenuate the impact thereof. A question […]
South African expats have been subjected to vast amounts of conflicting information regarding the amended expat law change, causing uncertainty and panic in their preparations for 1 March 2020.
Employers are constantly fighting the battle to contain salary expenses to ensure the business still report profits to shareholders, while reducing the risk of permanently shutting their doors. The reality of today’s tough economic times is often a choice between preserving a job versus rightfully demanded increases. Employee increases are few and far between, and […]
In 2019 we have witnessed the new permanently appointed Commissioner of the South African Revenue Service, so it takes little guess work to know that tax collection will become a key fiscal driver, and any offenders found guilty of non-compliance will be dealt with strictly, with the levying harsh penalties and interest being the preferred […]
The Campus Business Park
57 Sloane Street
+27 11 467 0810
In the News
- NEWS | EMPLOYMENT EQUITY SUBMISSION SEASON OPEN – IS YOUR COMMITTEE READY TO SUBMIT?September 30, 2019 - 8:47 am
- NEWS | EXPAT TAX – SUPREME COURT OF APPEAL HANDS SARS BIG WIN OVER BMW AND THEIR BIG 4 ADVISORSSeptember 13, 2019 - 1:47 am
- NEWS | THE TAX REVOLT IS ALREADY IN FULL SWINGSeptember 11, 2019 - 10:33 am
- NEWS | DON’T FORGET THESE DEDUCTIONS WHEN SUBMITTING YOUR TAX RETURNSSeptember 3, 2019 - 7:22 am
- NEWS | SARS DECLARES WAR ON NON-COMPLIANCEAugust 28, 2019 - 6:12 am
- Can we use standard pay scales in the form of a regressed market for remuneration management?June 27, 2016 - 12:07 pm
- What are the key considerations when attempting to comply with “Equal Pay for work of equal value”?June 27, 2016 - 12:06 pm
- How do I optimally structure travel allowances for employees?June 27, 2016 - 12:04 pm
- How does a Total Reward Statement (TRS) enhance my company’s Employee Value Proposition (EVP)?June 27, 2016 - 12:03 pm
- What advantages does CTC with flexible benefits have for my staff and company?June 27, 2016 - 12:02 pm